Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Cartoon Bread

Middle-Eastern bread. Indian Bread. French bread. Round, square, and funny shaped bread. Black, brown, and white bread. Multi grain bread. Whole wheat bread. Thin bread. Bread in slices. Bread in buns. Bread in bagels. Do you like bread? I do. As long as it does not contain any dried fruits that is.

When I was a small kid in the middle east, I grew up mostly with what people in North America call "pita bread". This kind of bread is what every family had around the house, and people just called it "bread". There were many other kinds of bread too, but they were more rare and we did *not* call them "bread". They mostly resembled elongated buns and French baguettes.

But when I watched foreign cartoons and/or the muppet sketches on Sesame Street (the muppet sketches were dubbed), the cartoon characters and the muppets always ate bread in slices. *Square* slices!

Then I came to North America. And what do I see in the grocery store? Cartoon bread! A million and one kinds of cartoon bread!

My favorite kinds of cartoon bread these days are the multi grains ones. This "épicerie" article claims that no matter how many exotic grains the bread is made of, at least 80% of the bread is usually made from wheat flour (not necessarily whole wheat flour), and the funny (ground) grains only make the remaining 20%, otherwise the bread would not rise.

I also like reading the names of the grains on the packages. Example: for the "Bon Matin 14 grain bread" the first ingredient is "whole wheat flour", and the second ingredient is the "14 grain mix". The mix includes: Wheat (blé), Barley (orge commun), Corn (maïs), Buckwheat (sarrasin), Oat (avoine), Sorghum (sorgho commun), Rice (riz), Rye (seigle), Millet (millet commun), Triticale (triticale), Sunflower seeds (graines de tournesol), Flax seeds (lin), Poppy seeds (graines de pavot), and Sesame seeds (grained de sésame). I had to google a whole bunch of those because the words were unfamiliar. But it was fun.

3 comments:

  1. And what do I see in the grocery store? Cartoon bread! A million and one kinds of cartoon bread!

    That's a lovely story :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and: I also like almost every kind of bread I've tried (except things like Wonderbread which are too mass-produced). We have a bread machine here that we've been using for a month or so, and the results are okay, but you can't make a dense German style loaf because they take too long, just light fluffy loaves.

    For example, check out
    this description of pumpernickel which talks about how you need to bake it for 24 hours! No wonder it's so hard and dense. Great stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you like the the story =o) =o).

    The bread machine at home probably makes your house smell very nice and homy in this cold winter!

    I like bread, but I don't know much about it. I just looked up wonderbread. I think I've never tried it.

    Also, I didn't know that the dense breads were "German style". I looked this up too after your comment. There were some pretty tasty descriptions!

    Pumpernickel: It looks great too but I've never tried it either. 24 hours?!!!

    Thank you for the comment, I just learned some interesting things =o).

    ReplyDelete